donut words

I just happened to reread this fabulous interview from our local weekly paper
up here in see-yattle. this might be one of my favorite bits of writing (or
talking, I guess) about food, period. The woman being interviewed works
for a place that makes what they call "hand-forged" donuts.

Sabrina the Donut Diva
Top Pot, 609 Summit Ave E, 323-7841

What do you think of Krispy Kreme?

"Listen, I'm from the South. It's hard to understand this doughnut-starved culture driving all the way out to Issaquah for, well... a co-worker drove out there, waited in line, and brought me back a doughnut that was, uh, okay. A little too sweet. Ho-hum. In Houston, we have Shipley's. They make these raised doughnuts, served hot, that melt in your mouth. You can't even taste flour--it's all grease and sugar. Folks in the South have a different take on frying things, you know; they're not afraid of a little fat."

You also make crullers--where are those from?

"Crullers are more East Coast-style--I think the first time I heard about a cruller was in a John Cheever novel. They have a crisper outside--a little crunch in your doughnut."

Do you find doughnuts sexy, like I do?

"I think of them more as sophisticated, understated, 'classy'--they look good, and they know it. A quiet confidence--if that is sexy."

What brought you to doughnuts?

"I went to pastry school and worked as a baker, which I loved. Then, in a panic, I took a 'real' job at a software company, and was real economically stable for four years--but I knew exactly what would happen every day for the rest of my life, so I left. I'd never made doughnuts before, but I have a deep affection for them, an understanding."

How do you make doughnuts? Is it an automated machine with a conveyer belt?

"Oh, no! Everything is done by hand: I fill up the extruder with mixed batter (it's wet, like cake batter) at just the right temperature: 78 degrees--"

--wait. The EXTRUDER?

"Yes, fun to say and fun to do: I put different fixtures on it to form different styles, crank its arm, and it plops the batter out into the hot grease, doughnut-shaped. I fry the doughnuts for a minute on each side, flipping them over and scooping them out by hand. We drain them, and when they're cooled, I dip them by hand."

You have my dream job: You get to work with a giant, shiny deep fryer, and you make many people very, very happy.

"Oh, yeah? I work midnight to six a.m."

Oh.

"[Once,] I was walking home from a long night at work when a silver Mercedes drove past, slowed down, and backed up. The tinted window rolled down and this older man, obviously a well-to-do, high-class dude, said to me, 'You make the doughnuts, don't you?!' in this kind of awed voice. 'You do very good work,' he said solemnly, and drove off."

Interview by Rachel Kessler

(from www.thestranger.com...)

Posted by leek on October 18, 2002 | TrackBack
Comments

man shipley's doughnuts rock and guss what im a shipley my aunt started it all

Posted by: Nathan on April 12, 2003 8:06 PM

I was wondering if you could get a store running in Hershey Penssylvania. There is a hardeys that went out of buisness near the Hershey Amkusement Park that would be great for atracting locals as well as tourists. It has a drive through and alot of tables so people could get the doughnuts to go or sit down at the store and eat them. Please reply.
Matt Reeves ,Hershey Pennsylvania
P.S. When I'm old enough i would like to buy a franchise and run a store here, but im not old enough yet i will be in 5 or 6 years though. You'll probubly hear from me again then.

Posted by: Matt Reeves on October 1, 2003 5:03 PM

HELLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Is there ANY kind soul out there willing to save me from MARITAL DISASTER?

You see, my wife and I stopped in Houston, TX recently (We are from Maryland, we were at the airport). And she tried a SHIPLEY'S doughnut from a shop at Bush Int'l Airport. One of those standard Shipley's, raised, lightly sugared.

Game Over Man. She fell in love with them. Now I must find SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE on the planet who would be kind enough to buy me a box of the sugar raised and send them to me here in Maryland in time for Christmas ...

I am desperate. Will pay for one dozen doughnuts, shipping your time and expense and a little extra if you'd just be so kind. Please help! (respond by email dstafford@hedgelender.com).

Desperate Dan

Posted by: Dan on December 17, 2003 9:13 AM

I am interested in opening a Shipley's Donuts. The only thing is, I can't find any info on it. If anyone can help, please e-mail me.
Thanks

Posted by: Paige on April 9, 2004 9:56 AM

Shipley's Donuts are the best, better then Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' Donuts put together!

Posted by: Erica G. on July 22, 2004 11:30 PM

Yeah, I agree totally, Shipley's Donuts are the best!

Posted by: Jacob R. on July 27, 2004 7:34 PM

I have no clue how i ended up on a website about donuts, oh yea i was looking for a phn # to my local shipley's. I'm in houston. I like shipley's too. BUt after reading yall's messages, I realized I really took their donuts for granted! WOW. I will really appreciate the shipley donut now. If Any of yall come thru Houston again, and its morning time, get a Kolache. they are great too.

Posted by: jess on October 13, 2004 7:36 AM

i used to live in houston and had shipleys donuts quite often i then moved to st. louis and now i realize how much i miss them. when i go home to houston i make sure to get donut holes and kolaches every morning i just wish they could bring one and put it like right on the corner of my yard or something.

Posted by: jaime on December 27, 2004 9:23 PM

I miss Shipleys. Had them in my hometown of G'ville, MS. I live in New Orleans now. Not bad donuts or beignets, but I don't understand Krispy Kreme....they are average.

Also props to Howard's Donuts in Memphis.

Posted by: Doug on April 25, 2005 12:18 PM

I've never been that fond of Krispy Kreme. I'm a Houston girl, so it's Shipley's all the way. I actually found this page trying to find an online menu so I could figure out what I wanted to order from them this morning.

Loved the interview. :]

Posted by: Emily on June 19, 2005 8:06 AM

Shipleys, Dunkin, and krispy do not compare to LaMars Donuts in Denver. Head west my friend for a great donut--

Posted by: Mike Phillips on July 21, 2005 2:37 PM

hey i was wandering if anybody knows how to get information on opening up a Shipley's Donut store . appreciate info . thanks

Posted by: angelo leyva on July 30, 2005 4:52 AM

Looking for anypne who know a recipe for kolaches- The kind they sell at Shipley Donuts in Houston or the kolache factory.

Posted by: Leah on September 26, 2005 9:40 AM

Does Shipley's ship to Atlanta, GA? I'm dying for a dozen glazed and a dozen chocolate glazed.

Posted by: Dona on October 4, 2005 8:17 PM

I am interested in opening a Shipley's Donuts here in Southern California. However I cannot find any information on it. If anyone can help, please e-mail me.
Thanks a bunch

Posted by: James on October 24, 2005 9:53 AM

omg...It's 2:22 PM and I'm lusting for a Shipley's donut...But I'm too lazy to walk like a mile to get me some...Someone send me one? Or do me a favor and come drive me? Lmao
--Lotsa love a lazy Houston Chica

Posted by: Lena on November 12, 2005 12:24 PM

I used to live in Houston, Texas and ate Shipley donuts all the time. I don't know where to find one in the Alton-Godfrey, Illinois area. Are there any in the St. Louis area? Please let me know. Thank you very much.
Lisa Hines
618-520-4439

Posted by: Lisa Hines on January 14, 2006 2:12 AM

Lisa Hines
618-520-4439

Posted by: Lisa Hines on January 14, 2006 2:15 AM

I am interested in opening a Shipley's store. Is it possible to do so? Are there franchise for sale?

Posted by: TJames on January 17, 2006 5:34 PM