Purple Mashed Potatoes

I purchased some purple potatoes from Trader Joes the other night and thought it would be really cool to make them into mashed potatoes. So lastnight I made dinner for Shari and I and included the purple potatoes, mashed.

I boiled them, added butter, milk, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic, mashed them up and served them. Shari would not eat them. She thought they were too strange. I thought they were really really cool.

As they cooled down they changed from blue to a deep purple. It was really neat.

So my question, would you find it too strange to eat if you were served purple potatoes mashed?

Posted by karine on November 07, 2002 | TrackBack
Comments

Nope! I've served them quite a few times, myself. They're yummy. 8)

I have some friends who are planning a 'blue foods' dinner. Maybe these would qualify.

Posted by: meriko on November 7, 2002 9:32 PM

I'd eat em, yep, yessirree -- provided there's enough butter involved.

Posted by: russell on November 7, 2002 9:32 PM

Purple mashed potatoes are one of tim's favorite dishes -- we make them lots.

I want to try broiling a bunch with yams. Wouldn't that be pretty?

Posted by: on November 8, 2002 9:17 AM

Had them with Thanksgiving dinner -- excellent!

Posted by: madrigal on February 17, 2003 2:42 PM

i love purple mashed potatoes. we're making some for dinner tonight :)

Posted by: stef on October 17, 2004 4:06 PM

Purple mashed potatoes served with yams and cauliflower alongside some nice prime rib roast, that's what we're having for Easter dinner tonight..... makes for a colorful plate....

Posted by: Mark on March 27, 2005 2:05 PM

Is it true that blue or purple potaoes assist with impotence in males? Also stemming from Bolivian tribes using them due to the high altitudes?

Posted by: Brad on April 7, 2005 12:16 PM

Got some purple potatoes from a customer who's a gardening buff. Got them out in the garden growing now...... Can't wait to try those magic purple mashed potatoes in the Fall!!!

Posted by: Darren on May 23, 2005 11:50 AM

Absolutley eat them. Last week I was tailgating at a horseshow which also judges and bestows ribbons for the best tailgate. My color theme has always been purple, quite honestly my table did not compare to the gigantic flower displays and huge buffets set out by the others but I did win the blue ribbon, I had purple potato salad that matched the table and all of the tableware perfectly and was quite delicious! So...there ya go!

Posted by: Jodi on June 8, 2005 7:44 AM

Our purple potatoes are growing great in the garden but where the blossoms were there are what looks like cherry tomatoes growing. Crazy, huh????? Maybe it is more like a pod?????? My husband tryed to convince me that I gave him the wrong fertilizer, very funny!!!!!

Posted by: Sharon on July 28, 2005 2:01 PM

My Shepherd's Pie looks so decorative topped with mashed purple potatoes!! I am going to make my Grandchildren Pyrogi's using the mashed "purple potatoes" Cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, onion powder ( they don't like onions).

Posted by: Wendy Barr on November 16, 2005 7:02 PM

I am making mashed purple potatoes this saturday for a dinner party. But does anyone know where i can buy them in bulk in the Los Angeles area?

If I get them at Trader Joe's I figure I will need to buy 4 or 5 bags of the tri-color mixed potatoes.

Please advise. Thanks!