impromptu beef salad

Do you know how rare it is to catch a recipe on tv where 1) you remember all the ingredients 8 hours later (without writing them down), 2) it looks like something you'd really enjoy, and 3) you actually have all the ingredients fresh in your 'fridge?

I whipped up an excellent salad tonight, based on a recipe I caught the tail end of on a cooking show this morning. Of course I didn't bother to look online for the recipe until after dinner, but miraculously it all came together really well in litterally under 6 minutes, and ended up being one of the best spontaneous meals I have made in a long time.

My Impromptu Beef Salad
1/4 pound fillet mignion
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Juice from one lemon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 scallions, thinly sliced, white parts only
1/4 cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
1 handfull of cilantro, torn up
Big bowl of arugula/salad greens

Sear the steak in a hot pan until medium rare (about 3 minutes on the first side, season with salt and pepper, then flip for 1 minute on the second side). Remove from heat, let it cool a little and slice.

Whisk the juice of a lemon, cumin, and olive oil with a little salt and pepper to taste. Toss greens, cucumber, and cilantro with the lemon-cumin dressing. Add steak.

Posted by rebecca on November 10, 2002 | TrackBack
Comments

That sounds really yum -- What would you cook up for tad with it? Just curious cause I'm trying to find more things that I can make for tim where we both enjoy the same flavorings.

I LOVE that FoodTV posts all their recipes on the website. It's so great, that six months later you can wonder "that show, with the asian salad thing, that sounded good..." and actually -find- it.

Posted by: heather on November 11, 2002 11:15 AM

Funny you should ask!

I probably wouldn't ever make a variation of this for my vegan husband because he is, as I love to joke, the worst vegetarian ever and doesn't really eat salads. He eats tons of what we've dubbed "Faux Food" (veggie versions of chicken nuggets, hamburgers, hot dogs), and lots of beans and wraps; but he's not a big salad eater. I could and often do eat a salad for at least one meal a day, and I'm a big fan of one-bowl meals in general.

I'm guessing some smoked tofu sliced over the top might work for a vegetarian version.

Posted by: rebecca on November 11, 2002 11:34 AM

Well, I'm also becoming a fish eater, so I'm guessing there's one out there that might be yummy like that. A more 'meaty' fish, perhaps.

I guess Tad thanks the heavens for Morningstar every day?

Posted by: heather on November 11, 2002 11:39 AM

I'm actually the Morningstar fake-bacon addict!

If you are opening up to fish, I have a fantastic salad entree recipe I have used many times and love: it's a broiled scallop and maui onion salad. Like the beef salad it's super easy to make and looks absolutely incredible plated. It's gets marks from me (as the chef) because it's really easy to split the recipe and divvy up the onions between a heap of scallops and a heap of tempeh to take care of the non-fish eaters at your table.

I'll dig around this week and post it to Gastronome when I find it. If you like scallops, you'll love it!

Posted by: rebecca on November 11, 2002 12:38 PM

mmmm -- I do indeed love scallops!

Posted by: heather on November 11, 2002 5:52 PM