Fruit to Nuts Salad
Okay so here's a favorite salad of mine:
- 1.5-2 large heads of red leaf lettuce
- one large or two smaller Granny Smith apples
- half pound of walnut halves
- two tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rose water
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 tbsp crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- balsamic vinegar and rose water to taste
- Wash and cut the lettuce into 1" wide strips, or tear to your preferred format, place in a large salad bowl.
- Chop the apple into bite-size chunks and add to salad bowl.
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. When it's hot, add walnuts.
- Simmer walnuts for about 30 seconds, then sprinkle on brown sugar and then 1/4 cupe rose water. Stir frequently.
- Stir walnuts until they get a nice coating of sugar-- maybe 2 minutes. Do not allow them to burn.
- Remove walnuts from heat and allow to cool in a bowl for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 walnuts to salad bowl and toss salad.
- Sprinkle remaining walnuts and gorgonzola on top of salad.
- Sprinkle balsamic vinegar and rose water on salad to taste. (Approx. 4 tbsp vinegar and 4 tbsp rose water)
This recipe serves six.
Posted by todd on November 26, 2002