gingerbread tiles

Hungry for some new holiday dessert options, I tried a new recipe out of the latest issue of San Francisco magazine for Glazed Gingerbread Tiles. This recipe was contributed by the folks who run Tartine Bakery - the one down the street on Guerrero that's been packed since it opened a couple months ago! My husband tasted the fruits of my efforts and declared the recipe 'a new family favorite.' The cookies were spicy, rich, and dense without being belly-bustin heavy.

Glazed Gingerbread Tiles
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses

glaze
1/4 cup cool water
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

Combine the flour, cocoa, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. With an electric mixer on medium speed beat the butter until smooth, add the sugar and continue beating until fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add the egg and beat untill combined. With mixer running, pour in the molasses and beat until incorporated. Reduce the speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing until thoroughly combined. Divide the dough in half, shape into flat squares, and wrap in plasticwrap. Refrigerate until cool, about an hour. Heat oven to 350F. Place dough on parchement-covered baking sheet and roll it out with a patterned rolling pin until its approximately 1/3 inch thick. Bake the dough until it's no longer shiny - about 8-10 minutes. Cool on a rack.

To make the glaze: Wisk the water and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Brush the warm cookies with the glaze. When cool, cut the cookies into 3-by-4 inch pieces.

Posted by rebecca on December 11, 2002 | TrackBack
Comments

PS - I didn't actually have a patterned rolling pin, so i just doodled little pictures into my gingerbread tiles. I actually haven't ever seen a patterned rolling pin; so if anyone knows where I could get one? Let me know. I think I'll be using this recipe for a long time, and would love to do it justice.

Posted by: beca on December 13, 2002 9:39 PM

This is a traditional springerle cookie rolling pin: http://www.kitchen-classics.com/springer.htm . We made a lot of springerle cookies when i was a kid, but we had individual presses my mom bought in Germany, more like these: http://www.cookiemold.com/SPRINGERLE.html . I bet both would work for your gingerbread tiles. If you were making little ones, a ravioli rolling pin might do the trick, too. Check this one out: http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=180452

Posted by: meriko on December 14, 2002 1:41 PM

OK - tried these out tonight. They're TASTY. I love the hint of black pepper, and the hint of chocolate from the cocoa powder. Mine may be a tad underdone - we'll see when they're all the way cool. We're each eating a warm 'tile' with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream atop it. Tasty! (David had to save me. I started fluffing the butter and sugar, and then combined my dry ingredients. What was i out of? Ginger powder. We briefly toyed with making Corianderbread tiles, but gave up that idea pretty quickly.) Beca, did you actually manage to keep yours SQUARE while rolling out? Mine was sort of a ... wobbly oblong with curved edges.

Posted by: meriko on December 15, 2002 10:54 PM

Ok. That answers a couple of my questions. I did NOT do a good job of forming my squares carefully before i stuck them in the fridge. Mystery solved. ;) And on the underdone side? After cooling, with a cup of coffee this morning, they're PERFECT. I love the texture. (I let mine go for 9 minutes, and the one that wasn't on the baking stone went for 10.)

Posted by: meriko on December 16, 2002 8:22 AM

I made these out of SF magazine... they were great! I did add an extra egg in the second batch as the first were a little dry and crumbly when rolling out. Friends were treating these cookies like a drug supply and fighting over who got the last one.

Posted by: dave___s on March 8, 2003 11:04 AM

Tartine is my favorite bakery and I have been asking all my foodie friends if they had a recipe for this style of gingerbread since I discovered it last week. I thank you and I know my friends and coworkers will thank you. I've always wanted a patterned rolling pin. This gives me the perfect excuse to buy one.

Posted by: Theda Stone on November 23, 2005 10:42 AM