molasses-ginger cookies

These are tasty, chewy, spicy, molasses-ey cookies. They don't pack the ginger punch that my ginger cookies do, but that's ok - this is a different monster. I first made these last year; Heather passed on this recipe from Nola. My friends at work argue about whether these or the triple-chocolate cookies are better. Me, i like them both.

3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour

Mix in order given. Roll into balls the size of a quarter and roll in granualated sugar. Place dough on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 9-11 min.

I alternate position from bottom to middle of the oven half way through and slam the cookie sheet down so they're heavier. It makes a satisfying loud noise and releases tension. This must be the variable factor in it all - how hard and what angle I slam the cookie sheets.

Notes: The original recipe called for margarine, but you know me - i replaced it with butter. The slamming, as noted, is good fun - and the cookies are different when you don't. Cook a little shorter if you want them chewier, and a little longer if you want them crispy.

Posted by shock on December 15, 2002 | TrackBack
Comments

I'm totally unfamiliar with this slamming business! How do the cookies get heavier by slamming the cookie sheet? Does it release air or something to make them denser? Would the cookies be lighter if you didn't? (I'm sorry if the questions seem obvious - I just really never heard of disturbing the cookies this way intentionally! I'm totally curious...)

Posted by: beca on December 15, 2002 11:52 PM

The way i interpret that is dense, instead of heavy. About halfway through cooking, the cookies are puffed up and fluffy. When you bang them down, they fall. I suspect this also helps make them chewier - keep the gooey batter down and firming up, rather than puffing up to be more cakey in texture. And hey! Remember your mom saying 'quit running and jumping, the cake will fall'? Here's your chance to not worry at ALL about banging around the kitchen.

Posted by: meriko on December 16, 2002 8:20 AM

ok, i just made a big stack of these, with butter. what fun to thwack them over and over again! and they are so yummy... I rolled mine in turbinado sugar for more 'crunch'.

Posted by: heather on December 24, 2002 6:42 PM

How many cookies do you think this makes?

Posted by: Merry on January 5, 2004 4:51 AM

I love the ginger molasses cookies they sell at Paradise Bakery Is this recipe anywhere near the same ? soft and chewy is what i am after.

Posted by: Virginia on December 9, 2005 5:11 PM