dine about town

It's that time of year again - January 11 through January 31 is San Francisco's Dine Around Town fiesta. The deal: You take your Visa card to one of the fine restaurants listed at their website, and you'll find special 3-course prix fixe menus ($19.95 for lunch, $29.95 for dinner). There are a number of great fine dining establishments listed - maybe this is the time for a gastronome outing? (One hint: Bruno's does the $29.95 prix fixe year-round, provided you come in on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday night.)

Posted by shock on January 09, 2003 | TrackBack
Comments

I'm up for that! Should we make a schedule ;)

Posted by: mo on January 9, 2003 1:48 PM

Where do you want to try? I have a yen to try Andalu, Le Colonial, Butterfly, or Fringales... anyone else have a place they've been dying to try?

Posted by: meriko on January 9, 2003 2:24 PM

Count me in for a team dinner! Le Colonial would be my first choice...

Posted by: carol on January 9, 2003 4:06 PM

I actually did Le Colonial for Dine About Town last year, and it turned out not to be a great choice for the event. The prix fixe menu choices were very limited, but it wasn't much cheaper than ordering the same dishes off the regular menu, so what's the point?

I'd add XYZ and Azie to the list. Note: reservations can be hard to get, so a long-ish list may be a good thing.

Since I'm a member of the leisure class (ahem), I'll volunteer to coordinate schedules, if you'd like. The promotion goes from January 11 to January 31. Send me the list of days you *can* go, with some indication of order of preference (a pure ranking, or "weekday preferred," or whatever). I'll do the best I can to fit everybody, and preference will go to frequent gastronome posters 'cause that seems like the only fair way, if there are conflicts. Send these to andreaborn@attbi.com rather than here.

Comments about preferred restaurants should probably stay here, though.

Posted by: andrea on January 9, 2003 4:06 PM

Hm. We've eaten a few times at XYZ, and i wasn't blown away any of them. I was just looking at some menus, and Bacar just raised itself to the top of my list - wood burning oven and all. http://www.bacarsf.com/

Posted by: meriko on January 10, 2003 9:48 AM

I think Bacar is a great choice. I've only been there once, for a lunch-time Dine About Town last year. For those who don't know, they have a long wine list with an emphasis on wines by the glass, including small pours, so that you can do wine-food pairings (not that I'm any good at that) without getting way too much wine.

Posted by: andrea on January 10, 2003 1:15 PM

Is Andalu on the list? I'd love to go there and didn't see it listed.

I'm thinking... Andalu, Le Zinc, First Crush, Bacar and Chenery Park (I know nothing about it, but it's close to home *grin*)

Posted by: mo on January 11, 2003 11:07 AM

We were disappointed in Bacar last Saturday when the waiter told us the Dine About Town Menu was available only Monday through Thursday. Nowhere was this information posted publicly.

Posted by: William Commerford on January 27, 2005 11:08 AM