crepes

I could not decide where to put this.. are crepes a main dish or a dessert or just an everyday staple?

I had never really thought about the ability to make crepes at home. I had always heard that they were too hard, too time consuming, required special tools.. and so I just thought that if you wanted to eat a crepe you went out.

That was until about a year or so ago when Heather started making them at home... with a little planning they are simple. A great "make a head of time" treat. Shortly after Heather moved out and took her crepe pan with her I decided to purchase my own and instead of watching her make them, I would make them myself. What follows is the recipe Heather gave me, and some filling suggestions.

Basic Crepe

2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter

combine all ingredients in the mixer until smooth, scraping down the sides, and blending an extra 5 seconds more. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
You can rest the batter overnight if you like. Just put it in the fridge and remember to stir it before beginning to pour out the batter. I have found that it does separate.

heat a crepe pan brushing w/oil or butter... pour a small amount of the batter (I have a 10" pan and use a little less than 1/2 cup) and swirl to coat the pan. cook until set, and then flip, cook.. remove from pan.

now you can either cook them, fill them eat them, or what I do is cook up the entire batch stack on a plate and then reheat and fill and eat. The cooked crepes will last in the fridge for a few days. Cover in plastic wrap.

Fillings:

butter and powdered sugar
blueberries and whip cream
chocolate and coconut
chocolate and raspberries
chocolate and ANYTHING
lemon curd and brown sugar
green apples and cheddar cheese
cheese
cheese and mushrooms
nutilla and coconut
nutilla

I like to keep the fillings simple. It doesn't take much to fill the crepe.

I generally make a double batch and have them around for a few days, they seem to be one of shari's favorites.

Posted by karine on February 09, 2003 | TrackBack
Comments

I believe that recipe is from "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone", by Deborah Madison.

Other crepe fillings i like:
a squeeze of lemon or lime and sugar
a squeeze of orange, sugar, and grand marnier or cointreau (something like a non-flambeéd crepe suzette)
apples sautéd in a bit of butter, cinnamon, and sugar - maybe with a touch of calvados
chanterelles sauteed in persillade
goat cheese and braised leeks
proscuitto and gruyere
asparagus and pancetta and parmesan

Posted by: meriko on February 9, 2003 12:46 PM

That is the VCfE recipe -- I tested about five recipes before I settled on that one because it had less eggy taste, and less fat, than the others. And it works well for both sweet and not-so-sweet fillings.

I still need to try buckwheat crepes.

Posted by: heather on February 9, 2003 5:21 PM

I tried this recipe with buckwheat flour and I was not impressed with it. Maybe there is a better recipe for buckwheat flour.

Posted by: karine on February 9, 2003 6:18 PM

Nutella is good in crepes

Posted by: ac on May 16, 2003 3:09 PM

We had a buckwheat Galette (crepe) in South France that was to die for. It was topped with Tatiflette ( a potato recipe calling for bacon, creme fraiche, & reblochon cheese) I am still working on making it at home. This buckwheat crepe recipe may get me there.

Posted by: daisy on August 10, 2003 9:53 AM

Buckwheat flour is called "farine sarrasin" in French. So the buckwheat version are "galettes de sarrasin". They're a traditional recipe in Quebec as well. Here's a loose translation of a recipe from the web (I found some with no eggs as well):

250 g. buckwheat flour
25 cl milk
25 cl water
1/2 tsp. salt
2 whole eggs

recipe more or less as above with a mixer, or by hand: place flour in a bowl and make a well in the center. moisten flour with milk and water. add eggs and salt and beat -- the more you beat the mix together, the lighter your crepes will be.

let the batter rest for about an hour. make crepes :)

[it is important to have really fresh buckwheat flour -- buckwheat goes rancid more easily than white flour.]

Posted by: naomi on August 12, 2003 11:02 AM

What cheese is used for a Galette Jambon Fromage?

Posted by: David on February 18, 2005 8:03 PM

You Don't need a crepe pan to make crepes. A regular old frying pan works too. It's just a little bit harder to flip and stuff. I try to get a recepie with near even ratios of flour and egg. Some have way to much egg and they don't roll up. Really I like to fill them with whatever I can find that sounds good.

Posted by: Alice on June 17, 2005 7:54 PM

Hi there , just wanted to say thank you for your
recipe on crepes , i'm sure going to enjoy making
them.