lumpia?

At Tin-Pan last night the special appetizer was lumpia. I practically jumped out of my seat. Lumpia is a favorite food from my childhood. Unfortunately it was nothing like what I was expecting. Good, of course, but no clear noodles or ground carrot-like veggies. Any ideas on where to find a traditional recipe for lumpia? I'm not even certain what's in the homestyle version. Thanks!

Posted by mo on November 05, 2003 | TrackBack
Comments

I've never even heard of it!

Posted by: heather on November 5, 2003 9:24 PM

Mmmmm, lumpia!

But clear noodles? Ground carrot-like veggies? Huh?

You are talking about Filipino egg rolls right?

There are lots of variations of lumpia, but my favorite is the deep-fried type with ground beef and chopped vegetables (carrots, green onions, peas) in the middle.

Posted by: ladygoat on November 6, 2003 6:32 AM

yes and the cambodian version of the philipino version has glass noodles and ground chicken (so says my dad).

hmm. more inquiries necessary!

Posted by: mo on November 6, 2003 11:50 AM

I'm not a big lumpia fan, but I'll get my mom's recipe for you as soon as she unpacks from her move. (Mabuhay! Yes, I grew up in the Philippines).

Posted by: rebecca on November 7, 2003 10:50 AM

as a matter of fact, my ex-husband's mother was stationed in the Philippines with the Navy for some time, and she has a wonderful lumpia recipe. if you like, i will see if i can get him to get it for me.

Posted by: Meredith on November 19, 2003 11:17 AM

i would *love* to see your recipes!

Posted by: mo on November 24, 2003 6:02 PM

1 head cabbage, grated
3 chopped bell peppers
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup soy sauce
Lumpia wrappers

1) Cut up chicken, boil in 4 cups water, chop fine.
2) Saute onion, garlic in oil, add beef and pork and cook til done
3) Dice hearts of palm and shrimp and add to meat mixture.
4) When meat is done add celery, pepper, carrots, cabbage, & soy.
5) Make lumpia paste: flour & water or cornstarch & water)

Place 1 Tablespoon filling on wrapper, seal. Fry in hot oil.

Posted by: rebecca on December 10, 2003 10:09 AM

Mabuhay to all! I agree there are many variations of lumpia.I've been to many filipino gatherings while growing up & I miss them, My mom made them with pork & shrimp and veggies.We loved them so much that,she couldn't cook them fast enough for our meals.I'm pround of my filipino heritage.

Posted by: Debbie on May 25, 2005 12:32 AM