cheese rind in soup stock?

so i read an interesting article about how the italians put parmesean rinds in soup stock. apparently you can even freeze your rinds and put them in the minestrone later... have you done this? does it add to the flavor? i've never considered freezing a cheese rind!

Posted by mo on November 24, 2003 | TrackBack
Comments

Yep, done it. Love it.
Go for it! 8)

Posted by: meriko on November 25, 2003 7:27 PM

rind? what? leftover? I eat the whole thing!

Posted by: heather on November 25, 2003 9:33 PM

YES! I've been doing this for years now, and it's SUCH a great trick. So yummy. :)

Posted by: jenblossom on December 1, 2003 4:58 AM

Okay, for the gastronomically challenged, could we have a more explicit discussion? I currently have, in my fridge, Parmagianno-Reggiano, Peccorino Romano, and Manchego. (Apologies for any misspellings.) Are all of these candidates for this treatment? The Manchego has wax on the outside of the rind; I assume this doesn't go into the soup. When to put it in? How long to leave it in? Anything else I should know?

Posted by: Jenny G on December 9, 2003 8:12 AM

ABSOLUTELY! I love this as well. In fact, I've got a bunch of rinds and chicken thigh bones in the freezer right now. It might be time to pull them out and make a nice florentine minestrone.

I've only used the rind of Parmagianno-Reggiano and Grana for this. But, I think any hard cheese that you like the flavor of would do the trick.

I don't make stock with the rind, but I put the rind into the soup at the beginning of the soupmaking process and fish the gooey mass out at the end. I'm sure you could wrap it in cheesecloth and pull a bouquet garni with it, if the idea of fishing out a gooey mass makes you quesy.

The rind really gives the soup a great depth of flavor. It was a real "AHA! moment" when I tasted my first rind-flavored soup. It made the soup taste authentically Italian.

Posted by: Kirk Breault on December 9, 2003 7:18 PM