Because the Bacon of the Month Club demands more than a mere salad, here's the perfect thing for a cold fall night with some artisan bacon - and some last corn of the season.o
(Taken from the Barefoot Contessa cookbook)
4 oz. bacon, chopped
2 Tbl olive oil
3 cups chopped yellow onion (about one really big one)
2 Tbl unsalted butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
6 cups chicken stock
3 cups white boiling potatoes, diced
5 cups yellow corn kernels (about 5 ears).
1 cup half-n-half (I used Silk Soy Creamer)
1/4 lb sharp yellow cheddar, grated
1) If using fresh corn, cut the kernels from the cob and blanch in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Frozen corn also works - just add it directly in step 6.
2) Cook bacon in olive oil until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon, set aside.
3) Add onions & butter, cook until onions are translucent, about 10 mins.
4) Add flour, turmeric, salt & pepper, cook 3 minutes.
5) Add stock & potatoes, bring to a boil, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
6) Add corn to the soup, then the cream and cheddar. Cook 5 mins, until cheese is melted. Season to taste.
7) Served topped with bacon!
Vegetarian variation: I whipped up a batch with veggie stock and the results were still good, though I might do the broth as half-veggie and half garlic broth to keep it from getting overwhelming. The bacon may of course be omitted as well - you could substitute roasted red pepper instead.
Serves 5-6Posted by patrick on October 17, 2004 | TrackBack