shoo-fly? shoe-fly?

Ok, folks - tonight I'm making pecan pie, gumbo, remoulade (red and white!) and shoo-fly pie. I'm covered on the how for everything but the shoo-fly. Any advice? Favorite recipes? (And is it shoo-fly, or shoe-fly? Hmmmm? And is it cake or pie?)

Posted by shock on December 27, 2005 | TrackBack
Comments

I've never even heard of shoo-fly pie, very curious to find out what it entails!

God, now I want want want.

Posted by: Carrie on December 27, 2005 11:31 AM

Juls says shoo-fly pie.

Posted by: jsam on December 27, 2005 11:38 AM

I rilly rilly want to see your gumbo recipe.

Posted by: browse on December 27, 2005 11:40 AM

From what I've had, its a pie. I tried making it once with *disastrous* results. It had waaay too much molases in it, and it completely bubbled over the edges. Maybe that recipe called for a deeper pie dish that I was using, or else something went wrong and something reacted with another -- an entire shoofly pie at the bottom of my oven. not a good thing. :P

Posted by: Alicat on December 27, 2005 12:12 PM

"Shoe fly pie and apple pan dowdy, makes your eyes light up, and your tummy say howdy" An old jazz number, it would seem. "I can't get enough of that wonderful stuff."

That's all I know about Shoe Fly Pie. I'm interesting in finding out how your experiment goes! (and if you make apple pan dowdy, too)

Posted by: Eriq on December 27, 2005 2:14 PM

pie, and i havent ever made one, but drawing on my vast repertoire of possibly inaccurate recollections, its basically similar to pecan pie filling - minus the pecans, plus i think baking soda? to kinda fluff up the filling, and with some sort of crumb topping. entails the same inherent spillover risks as pecan pie, but even more so, thanks to the soda.

Posted by: joel on December 27, 2005 4:06 PM

oh, and shoo-fly, as in "shoo, fly, dont bother me", cause its a sugar bomb of a pie.

Posted by: joel on December 27, 2005 4:08 PM

The real question is:
where is the rum butter cupcake recipe???

Posted by: beca on January 3, 2006 7:35 AM

According to the $1.19 "Pennsylvania Dutch Traditional Recipes for Pies and Pastries" pamphlet that I bought at the way-the-hell-out-there Mennoninte bakery I made John follow about 50 roadside signs to get to because I didn't want to buy food at any of the "inauthentic" places in Lancaster County, PA this past November, "Shoo-Fly Pie" (which they seem to sell everywhere there) is [sic]:

For the crumb part:
1/4 C shortening
1 1/2 C flour
1 C brown sugar

Work the above ingredients together.

For the liquid part:
3/4 t. baking soda
1/8 t. nutmeg
a little ginger, cinnamon and cloves
1/4 t. salt
3/4 C molasses
3/4 C hot water

Mix well together and add hot water. Into an unbaked pie shell, combine the crumbs and liquid in alternate layers with crumbs on bottom and top. Bake 15 minutes at 450 degrees, then 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

That's all it says. No pie pan size, nothing. Though there is a small illustration of a PA Dutch woman putting some pie and coffee in front of a PA Dutch man who is sitting at a table, with the slogan, "Kissin' wears out - Cookin' don't" at the top.

I made the "Vanilla Pie" from this pamphlet and used blackstrap molasses and an 8" pan, with the Fanny Farmer recipe for a single 9" pie crust, and John loved it. I actually bought the pamphlet because the first recipe in it is for "Funeral Pie". Life is hard on the farm!

Posted by: khritter on January 29, 2006 10:58 AM