Some folks i know don't make New Year's resolutions - instead, long lists of things to do an accomplish in the coming year. They call them "uberlists" - you can read more about them over here at Kelly Sue's place. I like the idea, so i'm giving it a shot this year. I'll check in once a month with my progress.
What sorts of New Year's thoughts & resolutions do you make?
1. Get your dream stove.
2. Plant a garden in the spring.
3. Eat more than half of what you harvest.
4. Plant a Japanese Maple in the front yard. Kill the shrub.
5. Found your nest egg. (confidential)
6. All windows have curtains.
7. Price & design a DIY-remodel of the upstairs bathroom.
8. Raise 5 more houseplants. (The lightshaft counts.)
9. Reroof the house.
10. Ditch the last of the pink carpet.
11. Refinance the house, if it makes sense.
12. Plot the kitchen remodel.
13. Buy some area rugs. Goblin doesn’t like sitting on the floor.
14. See Laverne at least once a month. Drop the excuses, already.
16. Write to James. Regularly.
17. Send Tammy & Todd’s postcards, when it’s time.
18. Take care of Beca.
20. Cook foie gras for Russell.
21. Lend support and love to those getting married in 2004. (So many of you! Congratulations!)
22. Don’t overdo it.
23. Seduce Russell while wearing boots and leather.
24. Remember people’s birthdays. Recognize them.
25. Play more networked video games with Russell.
26. Coordinate a new couch gift for Laverne.
27. Send Michael and Sydney books.
28. Schedule a regular lunch with Carol. Keep to it.
29. Ditto for Mike.
30. Manhattan Friday. Once a month. Well, it wasn't manhattan Friday, but this turned into a great weekly lunch with William.
31. Befriend René.
32. Frame some Bob Art for Andrea.
33. Go to the damned dentist, already.
34. Up your yoga practice to twice a week.
35. Weigh 150 or wear size 12 jeans.
36. When done losing weight, spent the Stormy wedding gifts.
37. When done losing weight, buy a custom corset.
38. When done losing weight, commission a HM™ cocktail dress.
39. Get your moles checked.
40. And that plantars wart removed.
41. Go dancing.
42. Once a month.
43. Visit Katie in NYC.
44. And James in Virginia.
45. And Little Anne in Minneapolis.
46. Visit Mom & Dad in Vegas. Eat at Nobu.
47. Take Naomi to the symphony.
48. Take the fleaclan to the Exploratorium.
49. Take a getaway with Mike & Mere before there’s a wee one.
50. Visit Japan.
51. Or maybe Germany, France, & Italy.
52. Go to a burlesque show.
53. Go on 6 picnics. I only went on 3.
54. Have people over for dinner at least once a month.
55. Have Larz & Sparky over for dinner.
56. Get that regular date with Robert and Laureen scheduled. Regularly.
57. Have Naomi, Fern & the Leckmans over for dinner.
58. Have Aimee over for dinner.
59. Throw a ‘professor’ party.
60. Enjoy the good red wine in your cellar. Get to a 2:1 ratio of whites to reds. That’s how you drink ‘em.
61. Finish piecing the puppy quilt. Made progress, but didn't finish.
62. Quilt the darned thing.
63. Keep litwank updated monthly, at minimum.
64. Post at least 1 recipe a month to gastronome.
65. Cook at least 1 new thing a month.
66. Collaborate with Russell on a creative project.
67. Create at least one cocktail that showcases a Hangar One vodka.
68. Write more often.
69. Fill your paper journal.
70. And another one.
71. Make lunch bags
72. Make notecards out of Russell’s EtOH drawings.
73. Collaborate on some stationary design with Tammy.
74. Make your own damned bath bombs.
75. Make holiday gifts. You loved it when you did that in 2001.
76. Do a 24-hour comic
77. Finish wedding site. With photos.
78. Learn to knit. Again.
79. Complete your Pimsleur Japanese CD lessons
80. Practice with William.
81. Have a drink with Khris’ caterer friend.
82. Learn to bookbind.
83. Learn to letterpress.
84. Get better at spending money on only that which truly pleases you.
85. Take a cooking class.
86. Write thank-you notes. Habitually.
87. Send someone flowers when they most need it.
88. Invite Heather Corinna out for a drink while in MN.
89. Commission 3 pieces of art.
90. Go to the farmers’ market at least once a month.
91. Send two fun things to the dance card folks.
92. Get the ska Mini.
93. Taste 5 new single-malt scotches.
94. Clean your office. Thoroughly.
95. Smile more often.
96. Pose in the Dark Garden window at Dickens Fair.
97. Have lunch with Beca in the Gapeteria. (You’ve only been talking about it for how many years?)
98. Flirt more.
99. But not too much.
100. Be less afraid of the telephone.
101. Be on time. All the time.
102. Watch your uberlist.
103. Do it again.
104. Perfect your dream gin martini.