April 05, 2005
vanishing act

While I haven't been writing much here on the net, I assure you I'm around and about. I seem to be living in the present a lot right now - which is really quite a good thing. I've been knitting a fair amount (Two baby totoro hats! Birthday scarf for Heidi! Princess scarf for sophie!), cooking with the yummy spring veggies, seeing the lovely babies in my life, and doing some reading.

I escaped to Mendocino with Russell for an exquisitely lazy and langorous 10th anniversary weekend - I remain pretty much the luckiest girl. I'm practicing sketching - I really want to be able to draw my food. (And even asking for advice and help!) I'm considering taking a watercolor sketching workshop - anyone interested in joining me?

Goblin's beginning her spring shed. I'm plotting a bathroom remodel for this summer, and ogling all the herbs going nuts in my garden. (And cursing the snails. I think I need to eat something canned soon so I can make some snail traps. They're eating my Cannus spp. We installed a Mac Mini in Mom Bornschlegel's house, and now I'm bringing her up on The Macintosh Way. Seems like April, all over again. 8)

On my short list:
--Correspondance. I've been terrible about writing you, I know. Forgive me?
--Read all the tasty nonfiction about Paris and Barcelona. Figure out how and when we're getting there in October, and where to stay.
--Get the weed patch in front of the house cleared. Put in that Japanese maple.
--Spend some quality time with my paper journal.
--Write up all the recipes and menus I've been hoarding for gastronome.

And you? What have you been up to? What's on your short list?

Posted by shock at April 05, 2005 07:43 AM
Comments

aaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Hey, that reminds me, I should update my journal and then do something with my life.

Posted by: Damien Warman on April 5, 2005 7:52 AM

Nothing wrong with living in the moment! I confess, that's where I have been so far this year. Due to work, parenthood, house issues, family, etc. - I seem to be using what little time I have differently.

I finished a needlepoint project, I have been able to do some genealogy work, I hosted family and had a lot of friends over, T. and I started a huge Spring purge a couple weeks ago that I suspect will take a month to wrap up, and every weekend we have been hosting open houses to rent our extra unit. And of course, trying to stretch every minute of every morning longer so we can snooze and tickle and chat in bed as a family before we all have to get up and go to our various destinations.

Posted by: beca on April 5, 2005 10:06 AM

My short list includes APE, then Capitalism Party. SDCC this summer. Not moving, if we're lucky (2 years seems to be my luck so I'm nervous), maybe FLA in Aug to visit grandmothers, your Mendocino in September and the Riviera Maya for Xmas week.

Plums have started - early June?

We'd love to see you. Dinner maybe some Fri night? I'd offer our house if you really don't want to cook ;)

Posted by: Adrienne on April 5, 2005 12:27 PM

I'm reading (well, listening to) a book called "Vanishing Acts."

Otherwise, getting annoyed with the garden that won't sprout, the house that is a disaster, wanting to paint and paint but also chuck the whole studio out the door and start over from scratch because it is so cluttered and dark and making me crazy. Then I go sit in the sun with a magazine or a book (The Confessions of Max Tivoli is the paper one in progress). All in all, just like spring.

Posted by: donab on April 5, 2005 2:08 PM

My short list includes:
--Driving with the Family to SF to hang out with people on 4/15. Yes let's hook-up that day.
--Getting my backyard patio installed
--Hanging out with Raulito and making videos of him
--Entering him as the new Quizno's baby
--Getting around to watching Motorcycle diaries and Napoleon Dynamite.

Posted by: Raul Deju on April 7, 2005 9:49 AM

I am a good friend of Merry's and I saw that you knitted a Totoro baby hat. I MUST know where you got the pattern!

Thank you!!

Jeannine

Posted by: Jeanine on April 19, 2005 3:13 PM

Beer attracts and drounds sails and slugs.
How to:
1)Get bad, cheap beer(Miller, Bud etc - yes I am a beer snob).

2)Put a pie plate(or some such) in the ground so that the rim is level with the earth.

3)Add beer to said pie plate.

4)Watch snails die (If you feel like it).

Posted by: Jeannine on April 19, 2005 3:17 PM